Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A Cinco de Mayo Photo Lesson

On Monday, we decided to have the obligatory margarita in honor of Cinco de Mayo. Does anyone else find it curious that most people celebrating Cinco de Mayo are NOT Mexican? I guess it's no different that non-Irish people drinking green beer on St. Patricks' Day. However, I do find it odd that this is a much bigger holiday in the U.S. than in Mexico. Anyway, I digress...
We met up with some friends at Las Palmas for the best margaritas in town. Because everyone else had the same idea, there was quite a wait. So, we had to hang out in the parking lot until they had a spot for us. I pulled out my camera to take some pics of the occasion. I was about to turn on the flash when our friend Wes said, "don't do that!" He's a very talented photographer (check out his site) and began instructing me on the evils of using a flash. A full-on photography session ensued where I learned about aperture, shutter speed, film speed, etc. It was quite fun to learn how to use all the settings on my new camera!
Here is a photo we took outside of the restaurant - with NO flash. Doesn't the sky look pretty?
This is Wes demonstrating how a slow shutter speed works when you're moving. Doesn't he look like he's flying?!
After an hour of waiting (and one photography lesson later), we finally made it in the restaurant! Cheers!

The Many Faces of Margarita Lovers
We were all very excited to get our "best margaritas in town." Apparently, we all have different ways of showing it...


Like this...
(Wes with his Monster Margarita)
This....
(Deanna with her Monster frozen)
...Or this!
Petro trys to act suave, but we know he's really excited deep down!

Garth and his good friend, Blair.

Danny and Petro

Garth and I towards the end of the night. We ONLY got jumbo margaritas, but that was enough for us! Hooray for Cinco de Mayo!

No comments: