Saturday, June 21, 2008

Happy Belated Father's Day

I was feeling guilty this morning that it has been nearly a full week since Father's Day and I have not yet made a post to celebrate the occasion. Granted, I did talk to my dad on Sunday and Garth's dad came here for the day, but I still feel compelled to officially acknowledge our dads! Better late than never, right?

So, here's to Dad's and the many things they teach us. Although there are many things, here's my top 10 list of things my dad taught me:
  1. How to throw a softball (however, much to dad's dismay, I still throw like a girl).
  2. How to do many, many things on the farm (i.e. walk beans, feed baby calves, vaccinate pigs, and bopping rats with a shovel, though that's a story for another time)
  3. Alegbra.
  4. Integrity is paramount - just yesterday he said, "you don't burn bridges without it coming back to get you". Well said.
  5. The best techniques for riding a mat down a water slide, doing donuts on a jet ski and avoiding the water hazard on the putt-putt course.
  6. I'm capable of anything I put my mind to.
  7. God comes first.
  8. I'll never be too old to help out on the farm or fix him a bowl of ice cream.
  9. Hard work pays off.
  10. I still have many lessons to learn.

Thank you, Dad, for the many things you've taught me. I think we often take our parent's wisdom for granted until it's time to use the advice we've been given. Right after I graduated college, a light bulb went off - my parents were right all along! There are so many things we don't want to believe as children. We think we have it all figured out. But, the truth is, we don't. Our parents were right all along. It just takes time for us to realize it.

So, thank you to all the Dad's out there who patiently teach us and prepare us for life. Happy belated Father's Day to my Dad, Greg, and Garth's dad, Henry! We love you both!


My Dad at their neighbor's pond.

Henry eating a frosty on Father's Day.


No comments: