Sunday, March 8, 2009

Birthday Bash


On Saturday, we had a bunch of friends over to celebrate Garth's birthday. We had a bunch of food and I wanted to make a fantastic cake for Garth. I normally like baking and think my stuff turns out pretty good, but let's just say the cake was a bit of a disaster. I did a three-layer chocolate cake and wanted to decorate it really nicely. But, to no avail....


For some reason, the icing was so heavy, the cake started to totally fall apart. Garth claimed this look fine, but the longer the cake sat there, the more it started to fall apart. It was like a cake avalanche!

At this point, Garth started laughing and I so did I (though I felt like an utter failure in the cake making department). I certainly didn't want to let the cake go to waste. It still tasted great, after all. What to do? We got creative...


Let me introduce you to the "Birthday bowl!" I dumped all of the cake and icing into a huge mixing bowl and stirred it up. I attempted to decorate the top. Since it was a bit lumpy, it looks like a three-year-old wrote it, but oh well.

Here's Garth with his Birthday Bowl! Happy Birthday, Garth!


Our friends, Jan and Dan came for the festivities.

Here's me with my gal pals, Jan and Cara.

Blair and Jason joined the fun.

Here's the Springfield Lawyers Group - Rosemary, Garth and Jared.


And, last but not least, here's Garth and I. We had a great time (despite the cake disaster) and hope everyone else did too. Thanks for helping make Garth's birthday so fun!

2 comments:

Beth Howard said...

Lady, I laughed OUT LOUD! when I read that. I cannot tell you how many times I've tried to make my "signature" yellow cake/fudge frosting for someone for a special birthday, only to have the extremely heavy icing split it up. It has gotten so bad that Jason only makes a comment when it DOESN'T fall apart. The worst was when I made a pirate ship cake, and by the time it got to teh party, it looked ship-wrecked. But tasted great!!

Christen said...

i love the cake story. you will probably remember that forever!