Yesterday, I did something I never thought I would do....I joined Facebook. That's right, until about 27 hours ago, I didn't have a Facebook page. I was probably one of 10 people in the world who didn't have one (Garth and our parents make up at least 5 of the remaining 10). For some unknown reason, I had a huge thing against signing up. Maybe it was because everyone else was doing it or maybe it was just because I didn't get the point and I didn't want to join to have to figure it out (it would help if they could at least offer a demo without signing up!), or maybe I prefer to communicate the good old fashion way - by e-mail, text or phone.
Whatever it was that was holding me back a mere two days ago, is no longer there. I admit it - I'm a convert! There's something thrilling about determining that I now having 102 "friends" since yesterday. It's not that these people are new to me, it's that there are at least 80 of these people I haven't talked to in a really long time. Forget old fashioned e-mail blasts with pictures from your latest vacation - you can now post them on your Facebook page and all of your friends instantly know about it and can share their thoughts (just don't put that bikini pic up there unless you REALLY want people to see it.)
I thought my blog did the trick. I thought that was enough, but clearly, it's too difficult for people to go to a separate page to read all about you. The genius of Facebook is that you go to one place and get short tidbits of information about your friends. Readthe updates if you want, skip those you don't.
The downfall of this magical online world? Addiction. That's right, I said it. Clearly, people are addicted to this thing. 661 friends, Drew? I mean honestly, how much time can one spend on this thing??? And, is it really necessary to post hourly updates on your life with people you haven't conversed with in years? Probably not. But, this is the new norm. This is what the web is all about these days. I realized today that I am about the oldest 28-year-old in the world. I clearly didn't realize just how much I was missing out on, or perhaps more appropriately, didn't understand about how people communicate today.
What will I think about Facebook in another month or two? Who knows?! I guess it depends on how many more friends I have by then. ;)
ADDED NOTE: Thanks to Christen (see previous post) and Dan for convincing me to join up on Saturday night! I have to give credit where credit is due. I've had plenty of friends and family try to convince me to join Facebook, but you guys were the who got me to take the plunge.
Yang Harus Anda Ketahui Tentang The Roland HD1
9 years ago

2 comments:
Such a good analysis!
Soooo.... It looks like I am attempting to join your world... I could use your expertise! Tell me what you think! Love you!
Post a Comment